CAMPUS-EVENTS Archives

Campus Events

CAMPUS-EVENTS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Thu, 3 May 2012 00:51:28 -0400
Like to mentor at-risk youth?
Like yellow and blue?

It's not too late, 14s! Apply for DREAM sophomore summer!
The application is attached and must be blitzed back to
Jayne Caron by 4 p.m. on Tuesday, May 8th.

Want some info about DREAM, and what we do? Read below!

There are two chapters of DREAM at Dartmouth. Both work with
at-risk youth in
affordable housing communities in the Upper Valley area.
DREAM is a nonprofit
organization that was founded by Dartmouth students nearly
ten years ago and has
since spread throughout Vermont colleges (check out
www.dreamprogram.org for more
info). Mentors are paired one-on-one with a kid who they
ideally stay with for
their entire time at Dartmouth. At Dartmouth, DREAM
continues over the summer,
so we need some extra mentors to take over for
non-sophomores who aren't on 12X!

The only non-negotiable time commitment are Friday sessions
from 4-6 at Dartmouth
(if you will be unavailable more than once or twice Friday
afternoon, please do
not apply - it really disappoints the kids) However, most
people spend between
4 and 10 hours per week doing DREAM stuff. We have community
events on weekday
evenings, and some hang out times or field trips on the
weekends. We strongly
recommend that you participate in our other activities, like
community classes
and dinners with the kids and their parents, camping trips,
weekends at DREAM's
camp in Vermont, and various field trips.

This is a great chance to get to know an amazing kid and be
a part of the larger
Upper Valley Community.

Please feel free to blitz Francie Middleton, or anyone in
DREAM, with questions. The current recruitment chair is
Jayne Caron who will be organizing the interview process.